Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Update to Google Notes

Earlier, I posted information about a Google Personalized Homepage module I had created called Google Notes. Since then, it's been picked up at www.google.com/ig/directory and I've also posted it on googlemodules.com

After over a month of successful operation, I've applied the first update to the service. Used to be, when you edited your notepad, the time and date of the last update was displayed below the notepad. That time and date was given in Central Standard Time, which worked for me because I was in CST, but it wasn't so good for roughly 23/24ths of the world. As of last week, I had implemented not only time zone selection but also the ability to toggle the display of any information below the text area.

Over the weekend, my brother (who handles the server maintenance, hosting, etc.) was in the middle of moving to a new home AND being promoted at work (congratulations!), so Google Notes was understandably not a high priority item. However, now that things are calming down a bit, we've applied the new code to the server, run a few tests to make sure everything works well, and now it's available to everyone.

This update process is transparent to the user, and if you have no desire to select a timezone, that's fine...the only effect is that the timestamp text reminds you that no timezone is selected, and it defaults to Greenwich Mean Time.

Thanks again to everyone for making this module a great success, and please do let me know if you have any more suggestions. I hope you are all finding it to be as useful as I have.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

My notes were deleted by recent upgrades. What is the point of such a notepad if the contents get deleted?

10/17/2008 10:38 AM  Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home