Tuesday, January 02, 2007

New Feature for Google Notes: Backup to Email

We're barely a day in, and 2007 already looks to be a good year. Fresh on the heels of the "full screen" feature, I've added a "backup to email" feature, which allows you to send a backup copy of your notes to your inbox. It's a step towards my goal of having automated backups, wherein your notepad contents are backed up to your email automatically on a daily/weekly/monthly basis, if desired. This not only lets you easily save your notes, but also lets you search through older copies of your notepad data.

If your notes aren't backing up properly, make sure you're checking the right email account. The notes are sent to the email address provided when you first started using the service. You can review this information by clicking "edit" in the top, right corner of your Google Notes. If you used some fake email address (which is perfectly understandable), then your notes will be sent to that fake email address. If you want to change the email address for your notes, you can either:

1) copy your notes, edit the email address, and paste the notes in the new notepad window

OR

2) use the buttons on the right side of this blog to add a new notepad (maybe you want to try a larger one?), fill in your email, etc., and copy over your old notepad contents.

If everything checks out and you still aren't getting your backups, feel free to let me know via email or a comment here. I've done my best to minimize the possibility of the email being marked as spam (by sending as plaintext instead of html, etc.), but we may have to feel our way around a bit before the system is flying right. Also, please let me know if you have problems with receiving multiple backups...that is, "click once, backup twice". I may enforce a minimum one hour (or so) spacing between backups to prevent accidental overload.

8 Comments:

Blogger Puneet said...

Love this feature! Especially the part where I can go and check the previous notes if required. Kind of CTRL-Z for me :)

1/03/2007 12:20 PM  Edit
Blogger Dede said...

I can't get the time to show correctly. It's supposed to be Pacific time but it keeps showing up over 2 hours later. I've edited it several times.

2/15/2007 2:16 AM  Edit
Blogger infinityis said...

Thanks for letting me know...it seems that the timezone adjustment isn't having any effect. I'm not sure why yet, but I'll take a look at it this evening and see. The site is hosted on a Central Time server--this is why your displayed time is off by two hours. Thanks!

2/15/2007 7:58 AM  Edit
Anonymous Paul said...

I too think your app is cool, thank you, and your new email backup feature is excellent and I have already come to rely on it. There is something which I would like your input on if I can; for some reason my email backups are now being sent with the latter half of my list becoming unformatted i.e. not in the list format as the list is viewed in Firefox. Strange thing is, the first half or so of the email backup is formatted correctly i.e. in list format, any idea what's going on? Many thanks again for your hard work, regards.

2/25/2007 3:37 PM  Edit
Blogger infinityis said...

dede, the timezone issue is now fixed.

paul, I'm not able to duplicate your error. If you (or anyone else who might be having a similar problem) email me at david dot hoelscher at gmail dot com and provide more details, I can try to diagnose the problem. Thanks!

2/26/2007 10:56 PM  Edit
Blogger James said...

I can't get rid of this. I keep getting the same note in my mailbox, over nad over. I have tried to get rid of this thing and i can't

7/11/2007 3:59 PM  Edit
Blogger Ben said...

I can't seem to see anything along the lines of email backup. I see mentions of it from a few months ago, but in my old notepad, as well as new ones I have tried creating, I can not find it.

Also, I have seen extended outages where I was unable to access it. I am sure you are aware of them, but thought I'd mention it anyway!

3/27/2008 10:02 PM  Edit
Blogger Richard Lee's WebLog said...

Is this feature still alive? I hadn't find any ways to ``backup'' to the email.

4/06/2008 5:49 AM  Edit

Post a Comment

<< Home